Defining love – what it is, what it is not, and how to do it – is near impossible. However, when we came across Alex Myles’ 55 Rules for Love we couldn’t help but think “Whoa, she got a lot right about love.”
But this list isn’t just about loving someone else: each of the 55 lines can be reflected back toward loving yourself.
Some of our favorites:
- Only we can make ourselves happy, it is not the other person’s responsibility.
- Accept honest criticism, it is good for us.
- Lines, flaws and imperfections are beautiful.
- Have fun, laugh and play—a lot.
39. Discover each other.
40. Be attentive and understand what’s not said.
44. Walk together, cook together, bathe together, read together.
- Discover what turns you both on and explore it.
And perhaps our personal ultimate favorite:
- Make love, but also f*ck (regularly).
It seems there always comes a moment when we need a little help to remember how to love ourselves, and it’s nice to know Myles’ list will be there for us.
What are other rules for loving yourself you adhered to? How do you show your own love? We’re curious, so let us know.